Saturday, September 19, 2015

Outsiders Theme

I think that the theme of the story is the conflict the greasers have with the Socs. It seems like almost every part in the book leads back to something the greasers and the Socs did. I think this is the theme because in the outsiders it says "we're poorer than the Socs and the middle class. I reckon we're wilder, too. Not like the Socs, who jump greasers and wreck houses and throw beer blasts for kicks, and get editorials in the paper for being a public disgrace one day and an asset to society the next." This shows how much the greasers and socs don't lik each other. Not only does this say in the beginning of the book but also in the middle and end. Near the middle of the book it says "I stared at the Socs coolly. Maybe they could scare us to death, but we'd never let them have the satisfaction of knowing it." This actually shows another part in the book where the Socs and greasers encounter each other again. Another part that shows that this might be the theme is at the end where it also says "I went back to stand with Soda and Steve and Two-Bit then, because the Socs were arriving. Right on time. They came at in four carloads, and filed out silently. I counted twenty-two of them. There were twenty of us, so I figured the odds were as even as we could get them." This is where the greasers were gonna fight the Socs so this shows the conflict the greasers have with the Socs which is why I consider it the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment